Wednesday, June 21, 2006

June 21, 2006

I have been reading through "A Layman's guide to Protestant Theology" by William Hordern. The book is about 50 years old, but it has been a very helpful introduction. I think he is a bit to generous toward Barth and Brunner (Neo-Orthodox), but overall, it gives a good general sketch of modern theology.

The picture I posted today is from my graduation from Concordia University, Irvine, this past May. My degree is a Master's in Research in Theology. My thesis was a comparison between Christ's dialogue with the Rich Young Ruler and the Book of James.

The completion of this degree has only fueled the desire to continue a theological education. I was prevented from pursuing a doctoral degree due to lack of breadth and depth of my degree. I have decided to pursue a second master's degree at Fuller Seminary. I considered Lutheran options, however, it is not possible for me to attend Ft. Wayne or St. Louis at this time.

I am a recent convert to Lutheran (Evangelical) Christianity, and have been a member of an LCMS church for a little over a year. I am a confessional Lutheran, but not a repristinator. I deeply appreciate liturgy, but have difficulty understanding why music, in any form, cannot be contemporary.

If you are a conservative Christian (confessional Lutheran even better) and have attended or are attending Fuller Seminary, please send me some names of Professors who are conservative (especially in O. T. studies). I am in the Biblical Studies and Theology program, so I would greatly appreciate your input.

God's mercy and peace,
JDo

1 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger West70 said...

John, you should contact the Leadership Institute. Alan Fadling received his degree from Fuller and is now with LI. They offer several classes at Fuller. I'll send you an email with his info.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home